Seems like a pretty weird question, eh?
Marks = assessment
Or do they?
Are you using marks for behaviour modification?
- Do you give marks for regular attendance?
- Do you give marks for “participation”?
- Do you give marks for anything else that is not a measure of having learned something?
If so, your marks are not all about assessment.
They are rewards in a behaviour modification scheme.
How do you react when I put it that way?
- Does it make you squirm?
- Do you get defensive?
- Do you want to resist that descriptor?
- Do you feel like that isn’t the way you want to be described?
Well, stop doing it.
I have more posts up my sleeve on related issues.